Monday, May 18, 2015

On my Way: at the foot of the Pyrenees

The long road ahead
The first credentia stamps. On left the issuing office at the start of the trail, on right the first albergues de peregrinos
I have to what?
Glad I reserved.
Last shop to buy up more of the stuff you will have to throw away to complete the Camino
Tourist photo of the start of the Way
My pack is now complete with its Camino pilgrim's symbol a shell
Not pilgrims. Hundreds of people flow through the streets to gawk at the departing walkers. Even one of those white tourist trains putters up and down the street outside my window and the Chambres pour Pèlerins across the road where volunteers give advice to those sallying forth. The fact remains that the weather up the hill can be fickle and dangerous.
And in a memorable end to the evening meal, our host and hostess do a Basque country dance
All the walks from across Europe led to this location because it was the most likely route to be both snow free and would allow carts to cross. It was still the most feared stage.

With light rain and a load of slightly carsick would be pilgrims from the bus trip from Bayonne, I climb the cobbled streets of Saint Jean Peid de Port to my first night alberge on the Camino Francés. It is only about 800km and six weeks to Santiago de Compostela. And another week after that to watch the Sun sink into the Atlantic Ocean at Finistère on the far western most tip of Spain.
Will I make it ?  26,000 or 12% of all the pilgrims to Santiago who did the way two years ago started from here at the point where the ancient trails from across Europe converged. Pretty good bet I will finish if my legs can take it.



Posted from Lee Shipley's phone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like death and taxes, the gullible are always with us

Protestors in the Capital. Now the horned man, Jacob Chansley says he’s coming to terms with events leading to the riot and asked people to ...