Thursday, January 24, 2013

BayJournal dies


I have been running an on line newspaper for my local area--the Southern Moreton Bay Islands for a little over eight years.  The BayJournal does not pay well, what is received in advertising barely covered the operating expenses but I saw it as a public duty in an area that had little coverage and even less opportunity for public debate.
The site has a good following, hundreds have tuned in each week to find what was happening.  I have published over 3000 articles and almost as many photos on local issues--almost one a day. It broke the news on a lot of matters that no one else wanted to talk about.
But the world has changed since then. Now we have two island print newspapers competing for attention and the big social networking sites allow and encourage more debate than is healthy. Wild assertions that go unpunished on the social media have to be stopped and this became a significant part of my day.
Over the last three months I have had problems with my internet provider and the underlying Joomla software.  More and more time was being taken up in servicing the 150mb database of previous articles. These issues along with escalating costs of running the set up had moved me to the point of shutting it all down.
Well, the decision has been made for me with yet another crash and I have decided that it is time that I moved on. For anyone who is interested the archive of the BayJournal covering a tempestuous period in the history of the Bay Islands, is available from the Redland City Council Library.
RIP BayJournal.

1 comment:

  1. Vale BayJournal. We are losing a valuable resource, but maybe gaining some more free time.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Like death and taxes, the gullible are always with us

Protestors in the Capital. Now the horned man, Jacob Chansley says he’s coming to terms with events leading to the riot and asked people to ...